Published on February 23rd, 2012 | by Greg0
Manhattan Wings: From BBQ To PB&J
New York is proud to call itself the home of many culinary innovations. Whether it’s our original style of pizza, or our famous delis and sandwiches, the NYC region does some pretty great things with food. At TrulyNet, it’s not totally about the highbrow- though we do our fair share of wine and whiskey tasting, and take our coffee seriously enough to argue about Chemex versus vacuum versus French press. We love fancy teas, and Fancy Foods, but we also are incredibly fond of street food and bar food.
Hence our interest in the recently-held event, King of the Wing. Over the weekend, we found ourselves snacking on dozens of different types of chicken wings (and drumsticks). And while there was plenty of blue cheese dressing on hand, along with the traditional accompaniments of carrots and celery sticks, we had our fill from twenty or so of Manhattan’s best wing providers.
Everyone attending got to vote for their favorites, in three categories, and the results are in! We agree 100% with the winners- if you ever find yourself in need of a wing (or a bucket), definitely check out some of the folks listed below.
TASTY CREATION – Best Specialty Chicken Wing
- GOLD Village Pourhouse’s “Peanut Butter & Jelly Wing” (which was outstanding alongside the banana fluff dip that also earned them a separate gold below)
- SILVER Duke’s “General Tso’s Chicken” (fresh cilantro, great spice, and a nice sweet/salty balance)
- BRONZE Wogie’s “Salt & Pepper”
BEST BUFFALO – Best Traditional Buffalo Wing
- GOLD Duke’s (hot, fresh, and easy to eat by the handful)
- SILVER That Burger (perhaps the strongest kick)
- BRONZE Bar Coastal
THE BIG DIPPER – Best Dipping Sauce
- GOLD Village Pourhouse “Bacon Fluff”
- SILVER Wogie’sa
- BRONZE Duke’s